Leopardo-built Glen Ellyn Police Department Honored with Excellence in Masonry Award

The Glen Ellyn Police Department was awarded Excellence in Masonry at the Masonry Advisory Council’s awards banquet at the Chicago History Museum on Saturday, April 21. The program recognizes excellent architectural design in Chicago and Indiana, as well as the talent bringing those designs to life.

For more than four decades, the Glen Ellyn Police Department occupied a former junior high school. Built in 1928 and shared with the village hall, the facility proved far too outdated and undersized to meet the needs of the thriving community it served. The new 30,000-square-foot, two-story police department features secured detention facilities and an enclosed sally port, as well as evidence processing with separate secured processing room storage and vehicle exam, officer locker rooms with bathroom and showers, emergency operating center, patrol investigations and administration spaces, large community room, public restrooms and a fitness area. The facility also features View Dynamic Glass, electrochromic windows that tint to maximize natural light automatically, in the lobby and community room.

Leopardo, serving as design-builder, worked in collaboration with architecture firm Dewberry, to deliver the project successfully and ahead of schedule.