Des Plaines Public Library
The Des Plaines Economic Development Commission and Owner Services Group, Inc. selected Leopardo to construct a new public library to replace their existing facility and to revitalize the city’s downtown area. Additionally, Leopardo constructed a 29,400-SF single-story retail strip mall as part of the library plaza. Located directly across from the City’s commuter train station, the new Des Plaines Public Library and Plaza are highly visible and accessible to citizens and have been a successful catalyst in the revitalization of the surrounding downtown area.
- 80,000-SF, four-story superstructure included cast-in-place concrete, and caisson and grade beam foundations
- Building exterior features Mankato limestone, Endicott Ironspot brick, metal paneling and terrace, and parking for 200 vehicles
- Building interior features a four-story sky-lit atrium with floating staircase, a public meeting room and auditorium, eight study rooms, a computer lab and a colorful children’s area that provides learning and fun
- The building is equipped with extensive mechanical, lighting, security and tele-data systems
- Shared exterior features encourage public usage of both the library and retail-sharing block